The Journal Writing prompt today is: Make a list of 20 things you like about yourself.
Believe it or not, this is going to be a difficult assignment. The thing is, according to my mood, I can tolerate myself or hate myself. The tendency toward antipathy is strong.
- I am creative.
- I love deeply and extravagantly.
- The son I raised is an outstanding success.
- I am a writer.
- I am an artist (perhaps not a very good one, but I have some gifts).
- I choose never to stop learning.
- I want to be like Jesus.
- I made my Mom’s final years bearable and kept her at home.
- I do not allow Schizo-Affective Disorder to defeat me, though sometimes it is touch and go.
- I have excellent taste.
- Animals love me.
- Children love me. (Ah, geez, I am running out of things to say. Whatever else?)
- I am generous.
- I sing.
- I work with technology despite the fact I never got the hang of typing very well.
- I am an early-adopter.
- I am capable of teaching things I know.
- I have empathy.
- I have overcome most of my worst habits.
- I have a wide variety of friends.
Bonus: I am still here, even though I fight suicidal ideation more than I like.
Okay, I did it. Can you? Can you step out of the negatives that often besiege us, and count yourself a blessing? I suggest you do it. It might brighten your day. Appreciate yourself.
The Bible says we should love others as ourselves. It implies the prerequisite that we love who we are to love others better.
© Jo Ann J. A. Jordan